Prayer Targets: Urgent Prayer for Marriage and Next Week's Supreme Court Hearings!
March 20, 2013
Dear Praying Friends,
In the 19th and 20th centuries God gave us great prayer mentors: Tozer, Murray, Wallis, Spurgeon, Bounds, Meyers, Mueller, Taylor, Chambers, Torrey, M'Cheyne and others. America's pastors and churches must heed them quickly while time remains to save our nation. E.M. Bounds warns that only one kind of prayer will bring revival and reverse the tide of evil we face today. He writes:
Peter...said of our Lord: "God anointed him with the Holy Ghost and with power." These are the divine statements of the mission and ministry of the Holy Spirit to preachers of that day and the same divine statements apply with equal force to the preachers of this day. God's ideal minister is a God-called, divinely anointed, Spirit-touched man, separated unto God's work, set apart from secularities and questionable affairs, baptized from above, marked, sealed and owned by the Spirit, devoted to his Master and His ministry. These are the divinely-appointed requisites for a preacher of the Word; without them, he is inadequate, and inevitably unfruitful.
Today, there is no dearth of preachers who deliver eloquent sermons on the need and nature of revival, and advance elaborate plans for the spread of the kingdom of God, but the praying preachers are far rarer. The greatest benefactor this age can have is a man who will bring the preachers, the Church, and the people back to the practice of real praying. The reformer needed just now is the praying reformer. The leader Israel requires is one who, with clarion voice, will call the ministry back to their knees.
There is considerable talk of the coming revival in the air, but we need to have the vision to see that the revival we need and the only one that can be worth having is one that is born of the Holy Spirit, which brings deep conviction for sin, and regeneration for those who seek God's face. Such a revival comes at the end of a season of real praying, and it is utter folly to talk about or expect a revival without the Holy Spirit operating in His peculiar office, conditioned on much earnest praying. Such a revival will begin in pulpit and pew alike, will be promoted by both preacher and lay-man working in harmony with God (E.M. Bounds, The Weapon of Prayer, Ch. 7).
America teeters on a moral precipice as the Supreme Court considers legalizing homosexual "marriage" nationwide. A national media, driven by homosexual fanaticism, is working overtime to drive the outcome. Prayer must prevail!!!
Marriage Countdown - In seven days, the U.S. Supreme Court will consider whether the God-ordained institution of marriage - revered by every society on earth for thousands of years - will survive in America. Homosexual activists and their allies: moral renegades in academia, entertainment, business, and politics, but especially the liberal media, have thrown God, moral sanity, sound reason and common sense to the wind. They have combined forces to redefine marriage and compel all Americans to bow.
Studies show that nearly 20% of Americans no longer identify with any faith. Our youth have grown up with "comprehensive" sex education that mocks abstinence and embraces homosexuality. They've been sold a bill of goods via immoral popular music, movies and TV since they were children. With Americans far less biblically literate than their parents, those who want to overthrow society with their anti-biblical worldview, believe their time is now! What happens in the hearts and minds of nine Justices Tuesday may decide which worldview prevails, at least in the short run.
If the Supreme Court rules awry, an American same-sex "marriage" experiment will commence. Yet God is not mocked. It was He who created marriage even before the Church, government or any other social institution. He built marriage and sexuality into nature. With marriages come conception, family formation and the raising of the next generation. Families nurture faith, hope, love and respect among their members that creates the positive fabric of society. Families provide for the general welfare of their members. Led by a man and woman, the family is the engine of health, wealth, education, character development, discipline, motivation, religious training, vision and purpose for its members-adults and children. Public policy should support biblical marriage. Government can never substitute for what families do, rooted in the created order. Yet we face these momentous court hearings. A full court press is underway by those who seek to overthrow marriage in an effort to influence the court. We must pray!
- A new Washington Post poll says a strong majority of Americans now favors same-sex marriage. The questions were leading, perhaps designed to obtain that outcome.
- Former President Bill Clinton regrets signing the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in 1993. Now, both he and Hillary Clinton favor SSM. Republicans are going wobbly. Republican National Committee Chairman Rince Priebus affirmed his support for Former Ohio Governor Rob Portman's public embrace of gay "marriage" after his son informed him that he was gay. But, like the exodus of pro-lifers from the Democratic Party in the 70s and 80s, experts say if the GOP abandons marriage, many social conservatives will leave, perhaps to start a third party (see Perkins).
- Wearing a Cub Scout uniform at a homosexual awards ceremony, rock icon Madonna denounced the Boy Scouts with a profanity-filled rambling rant, before presenting CNN news anchor, Anderson Cooper, an award recognizing his work "as an accomplished, openly gay journalist." Madonna gave Cooper a tasteless kiss, and then continued her remarks, punctuated with profanity.
- Homosexual groups have stepped up their hate campaign against FRC. GLAAD's president wrote, "Family Research Council is without a doubt one of our country's most dangerous hate groups, led by the most anti-gay man in America, Tony Perkins." They referenced the Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) designation of FRC as a "hate group." Oddly, court documents show that gunman Floyd Corkins used the SPLC's listing when making plans to kill as many FRC staff members as possible (see Violent Bullying). As the clock ticks toward the Supreme Court hearings, the bullying nature of the homosexual activist movement becomes more apparent. We will see more of this if the Court compels Americans to accept same-sex "marriage."
For Bible-believing Christians this assault on marriage is not just against society. It is an assault against Jesus Christ, Himself. Whatever the court decides, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever" (Heb 13:8). God created marriage to bless mankind, but also to be a visual representation on earth of the eternal relationship between Christ and His Church (Eph 5:31-32). Christians have an obligation to stand for marriage, not only because it is good for society, but for the honor of Him who created it.
- May God guide us in praying for each member of the Supreme Court: for Samuel Alito, Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Anthony Kennedy, Chief JusticeJohn Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Sonia Sotomayor, and Clarence Thomas. May each Justice be governed by the fear of God and fidelity to the moral law and Constitution (2 Sam 23:3; Ps 9:17; 111:10; Pr 1:7; 9:10; Is 5:20).
- May the attorneys defending traditional marriage (see ADF Prayer Guide) be given anointing, clarity, effectiveness, conviction and persuasiveness in presenting their arguments. May traditional marriage prevail in the minds of a strong majority of the justices, and may traditional marriage be reaffirmed as the law of the land (Pr 16:1, 11; 25; 18:17; 21:3; Is 9:7; Mt 19:4-6; 2 Cor 5:11).
- May those arguing on behalf of same-sex "marriage" present their arguments in an inept, confusing and unconvincing way. May they fail to gain traction in the minds of the Justices. May the right of Californians to amend their state constitution to protect marriage be confirmed by the Court, and may the Defense of Marriage Act be ruled constitutional (Lev 20:all; 1 Sam 2:8-10; 2 Chr 14:11; 20:12-27; Pr 22:28; 24:21; Is 8:18-20; Dan 7:25-27; 2 Cor 2:5).
Finally, please continue to pray over ADF's "9 Weeks of Prayer for Marriage" and the March for Marriage next Tuesday. Urge your pastor to preach on Marriage this Sunday and to lead your church in prayer (download church tools). Organize one or more serious prayer meetings if you have not done so already. Thank you for praying!