2017 Election Prayer Guide
October 19, 2017
Another Election Day, November 7, is fast approaching, and there is much at stake. Given the American people's stark ideological division, the outcomes of this election are very important. For example, Virginia's elections (Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, and State Legislature) will be enormously consequential nationally. New Jersey, too, will conduct gubernatorial and legislative elections on November 7. Charlotte, N.C.'s mayoral and city council races also have national significance. And there are many others. Some special elections have already taken place, some will take place on November 7 and others even later in November or December. Alabama's high-profile U.S. Senate race is scheduled for December 12. Wikipedia and Ballotpedia have excellent, non-partisan overviews of the key elections in every state (follow the links and use the search engines). We encourage concerned Christians to prayer over every election – each is an opportunity for God to use us as salt and light in our communities and to advance righteousness in our nation (Prov. 14:34)!
Pray for the election
- Pray that God's people will feel the need to engage our culture by getting involved as citizens, just as Jesus taught (Matt. 5:13-16).
- Pray that America's Christians will all register to vote in the election (Matt. 22:21).
- Pray that God would help all Americans realize that where the candidates stand on key issues is more important than the party he or she belongs to and all the campaign rhetoric (Philippians 1:9-10).
- Pray that faith-motivated Americans will learn the truth about every candidate's position on weighty issues (Job 34:4).
- Pray that God will make the choice between candidates clear as voters weigh these candidates and their positions against biblical values (1 Kings 18:16-39).
- Pray that faith-motivated Americans will vote their values instead of their political party alliances or based on politician pocketbook promises (2 Chronicles 19:2).
- Pray that the Lord will protect the election process nationally and locally from all dishonesty and fraud (Proverbs 20:23).
- Pray that God will guide us to elect godly men and women as leaders who fear the Lord and honor Him (Proverbs 29:2; Exodus 18:21).
- Pray that God will give us leaders who value America as a beacon of hope and freedom for the entire world and that our nation must be defended (Proverbs 8:15-16).
- Finally, pray that God will bless your efforts to engage and claim our culture for Christ, beginning with your vote (Colossians 1:10). Remember, how you vote today determines tomorrow.
Pray for our nation not only during election season, but year-round.
- Pray for our government officials (1Timothy 2:1-2). Specifically, pray for:
- The President and Vice President
- The Cabinet and the Congress
- The Supreme Court and its Justices
- Those who serve as local officials
- Pray that all our leaders would come to know Christ and follow Him (1Timothy 2:3-4).
- Pray that God would give our leaders wisdom and discernment as they govern (Psalm 72:1; Proverbs 21:1).
- Pray that God will release those taken captive by Satan and give sight to those who have been spiritually blinded (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).
- Ask Him to bring revival to the hearts and lives of the saved (2 Chronicles 7:14).
- Ask God to soften all our hearts to make them open to Him (Ezekiel 36:36).
- Pray that the innocent, the oppressed, and those unjustly treated would be rescued and protected (Proverbs 24:11).
- Pray for policies that respect human life, the sacredness of marriage, the right to religious freedom, and that compassionately care for the needy and responsibly care for the environment (Proverbs 14:34).
Finally, remember the prescription God gave us:
If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)