Military Loses Site of Faith
While the rest of the world is hunting down real terrorists, the Obama military is still targeting Christians! That's why yesterday's reports of religious censorship were so believable. Emails had been streaming into Fox News from service members across the country who all shared the same complaint: the Southern Baptist Convention website had been blocked on their bases for "hostile content."
When Defense officials tried to pass off the problem as a computer glitch, most people--including myself--thought, "Here we go again." After five years of faith-based harassment, who was going to give the Defense Department the benefit of the doubt? Lt. Col. Damien Pickart had insisted that the Pentagon wasn't "intentionally blocking access to this site," but with last month's attacks on faith still fresh in everyone's minds, most people had no reason to believe them. As a friend from the SBC told me Thursday, if you've had 13 fires lit by arsonists, and they say the 14th is faulty wiring, what are you going to think?
Turns out, it was faulty wiring--a hiccup in the website security that's since been corrected. And while the flap can't be pinned on the Obama administration's hostility toward faith, it did reveal plenty about the current military environment. Given all that's happened in the last several weeks, it's understandable that troops would jump to conclusions. Just last month, Lt. Col. Jack Rich sent an email to his squadron calling FRC and AFA "domestic hate groups," warning them to report organizations like us who don't "share Army values." And that was on the heels of an Army briefing that lumped Evangelicals and Catholics alongside Al Qaeda as "religious extremists." While Pentagon spokesman George Wright insisted it was an isolated incident, the pattern is undeniable. No wonder our servicemen had trouble believing that the error message was just one big misunderstanding.
As far as they're concerned, there have been far too many "misunderstandings" to brush off as oversights. When Walter Reed Army Medical Center banned visitors from bringing Bibles or other religious material to wounded soldiers, they told us it was just a mistake. Well, it was a "mistake" when they got caught--but it was a policy before then. Under President Obama, the military bans prayer at funerals, but builds Wiccan firepits at the Air Force Academy. It tells soldiers to stay away from religious websites, while its missile defense staff spends hours surfing pornography at work. It tears down crosses in Afghanistan, but lets soldiers march in uniform in gay pride parades.
After five years, the administration's intent is clear: to disarm the military of its biggest weapon and its greatest source of strength--Faith. Now, in the wake of the Boston jihadists and the Benghazi cover-up, it's clear where this focus on "Christians as the enemy" has led--to internal suspicion, mistrust, distractions, and the loss of the very right our troops are fighting to protect! Meanwhile, the Obama administration is so focused on political correctness that it's leaving the real enemies of freedom alone to carry out their acts of war unhindered.
It's time for every liberty-loving American to demand the end of this administration's war on religious liberty. Call your Congressman and both Senators today and demand that they hold the military leadership and the civilian political leadership accountable for this pattern of persecution. We cannot and must not tolerate these attacks on our First Freedom.
What's Plan A on Plan B?
President Obama says he cares about women's health, and now 50 House members are asking him to prove it. Three weeks have passed since a district judge reversed the administration's rule on Plan B, banning over-the-counter sales of the "morning-after pill" to girls under 17. And even though the court overstepped HHS's authority and eliminated the age restrictions on a drug that can prevent ovulation, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius still hasn't decided whether to defend her original decision. If Judge Edward Korman's opinion is allowed to stand, store shelves will be packed with pills that have four times the hormones of regular birth control--for anyone to buy. That's an incredibly dangerous temptation for young girls and teenagers, who would be able to walk right up to the self-check out and buy the drugs like candy.
Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) is a dad who understands the risks, and together with dozens of his colleagues, is pleading with the President in a joint letter--on behalf of all parents--to appeal the ruling. "Providing unrestricted access to this cocktail of drugs normally available only by prescription without proper oversight poses significant health concerns to minors," they write. "[The court's ruling] demonstrates an outright contempt for parental rights, completely eliminates any involvement of medical professionals in the decision-making process, and assumes that a child under the age of 17 has the capability to effectively and safely use particularly potent drugs." And even if these kids do take Plan B correctly, it still offers absolutely no protection against sexually transmitted infections--which are far more deadly than an unplanned pregnancy!
As one of the organizations that applauded the President's rare display of common sense two years ago, FRC echoed Congress's concerns with our own letter to Secretary Sebelius. Our coalition of 57 conservative groups thanked HHS for taking the necessary precautions. "In light of the fact that there have been no studies on the health effects of levonorgestrel on adolescents," we write, "and the fact that the FDA label comprehension study did not include data from minors, your decision to deny OTC status to girls less than 17 years of age was responsible and reasonable." Now it's time for the administration and all of us to fight for reasonable restrictions.
America Prays Its Respects...
Pray for our Nation! is the theme of this year's National Day of Prayer (NDP) coming this Thursday, May 2. More than 40,000 public prayer gatherings are expected to take place Thursday in our nation's capital, state capitals, county seats, cities, towns, and villages across America. On the eve of the National Day of Prayer, next Wednesday, May 1, FRC will host the NDP Task Force Men's Prayer Meeting at 10:00 a.m. (EDT). Calvary Chapel Pastor and Evangelist Greg Laurie, Honorary Chairman for this year's NDP, will bring a brief message to the praying men. Members of the National Prayer Committee also will join us and the event will be televised live via webcast.
Please join FRC in observing the National Day of Prayer. This event is an anchor to the much-needed, growing, prayer movement that is taking hold of the biblical commands and promises in 2 Chronicles 7:14 and 1 Timothy 2:1-8. See Wednesday webcast details at National Day of Prayer Task Force website and find an NDP event near you!
** While most networks seem intent on ignoring the FRC security footage and SPLC connection, several reporters and news outlets did pick up the story, including "The Mike Huckabee," which our own Lt. Gen. Boykin appeared on earlier this afternoon. (Don't miss this great interview!) Of all the local media, Fox 5 did a compelling feature with Gen. Boykin that you can watch below.