Ten Reasons Obamacore is Wrong for America
By Sarah Perry, Common Core Coalition Manager for the Family Research Council.
- God has given parents both the responsibility and authority to make the decisions on how to teach their children-not the government.
- The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) were created "behind closed doors" with the involvement of very few educators and were heavily funded and influenced by special interests.
- The CCSS "dumb down" the teaching of America's students by emphasizing "perspectives" and "critical thinking" over content and facts.
- According to the principles outlined in the 10th Amendment to the Constitution, education is best accomplished when it is left to local communities, parents, teachers, and states.
- The CCSS Initiative has resulted in, and will continue to result in, an exodus and demoralization of the nation's experienced educators.
- The CCSS will push low-income, minority, and children with disabilities onto vocational tracks and will establish a test-based meritocracy.
- The CCSS are costing billions to implement, and the costs will be borne by local school districts.
- The CCSS are developmentally inappropriate for young children by requiring young children to make sophisticated leaps in reasoning that they are not capable of making.
- The CCSS promote an equivalence of worldviews and moral ambiguity that may disrespect the faith, traditions, or upbringing of students.
- The CCSS lack a system of oversight or correction and make no provision for how to fix problems.