October 26: 1 Kings 22
1) Why did King Ahab not want to consult a true prophet of God concerning a proposed joint military operation with King Jehoshaphat of Judah?
- Ahab believed the prophet Micaiah hated him because he spoke God's truth
- Ahab wanted only to hear encouragement from his court prophets who predicted victory
- Ahab feared a negative word would come from God's prophet because of his guilt associated with leading Israel into idolatry
- All of the above
2) What happened to Ahab after jailing Micaiah for his prophecy?
October 27: 2 Kings 1-2
1) What happed to the first two military units sent by King Ahaziah to apprehend the prophet Elijah? What happened to the third unit and why were they spared?
2) Why did Elijah discourage Elisha from continuing to accompany him on his journeys?
- Elijah could travel more quickly alone
- Elijah was concerned about the extra expense
- Elijah was testing Elisha
- None of the above
October 28: 2 Kings 3-4
1) While the prophet Elisha had regard for King Jehoshaphat in chapter 3, what was his stance toward Jehoram, son of Ahab and king of Israel?
2) How was Elisha able to repay the Shunammite woman's hospitality?
October 29: 2 Kings 5-6
1) When Naaman, commander of the Syrian army, came to the prophet Elisha to be healed of his leprosy, how did he react when Elisha told him to dip seven times in the Jordan River and he would be restored? Once he humbled himself and did so, what was his confession (see 5:11,15)?
2) According to 2 Kings 6, when the city of Dothan was surrounded by the chariots and horses of the Syrian army, what did Elisha say to his fearful servant who was with him in the city (v. 16)? And what did his servant ultimately see (v. 17)?
October 30: 2 Kings 7-8
1) What caused four desperate Jewish lepers to go to the camp of the Syrian army during the famine in Samaria (7:3-4)? What did they discover, and what caused the Syrian army to abandon camp (see 7:5-7)?
2) According to 2 Kings 8:4, Elisha's servant, was telling the king of Israel about the great things Elisha had done. Just as the servant was speaking of the Shunammite widow whose son Elisha restored to life, who should appear? Explain the significance of the miraculous timing (see 8:5-6).
October 31: 2 Kings 9-10
1) Elisha instructed one among the company of prophets to go to Ramoth-Gilead and anoint Jehu, a commander in the army, as king over Israel. What mission did the Lord give to Jehu (see 9:6-10)?
2) According to 2 Kings 10, after Jehu slaughtered all the house of Ahab in fulfillment of Elijah's prophecy (see 1 Kings 21:21-23), what further actions did he take to cleanse the land (see 10:18-28)?
November 1: Discussion Questions
1) What passage uniquely spoke to you this week?
2) What insights did you gain about God?
3) What application might this have to what is happening in the world today?
4) How would God have you apply this truth to your life?