America is at a crisis point. The ever-expanding size and reach of government combined with our precarious economy are major threats, but they are not the biggest threat. The biggest threat we face is the spiritual, cultural, and moral collapse of our nation.
Family Research Council needs your help to sustain effective action to stop one of the most outrageous affronts to our survival as a free and stable country. That threat is the Obama administration's aggressive push to normalize same-sex "marriage."
Those who believe same-sex "marriage" across America is "inevitable" don't have the "inside" perspective I'm about to reveal.
Yes, national same-sex "marriage" would be inevitable if FRC and supporters like you did nothing, or even did not do enough. So I am asking for your help to carry out a well-conceived strategy to put the brakes on the same-sex "marriage" train before it destroys not just marriage -- but religious freedom as well.
First, let's review where we stand
Since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in June, President Obama is misusing that decision to assault natural marriage across the country.
In a pro-active and strategic victory, FRC helped develop and pass DOMA in 1996. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court struck down Sec. 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act last summer, the part defining federal marriage as only applying to opposite sex couples. But the decision was limited, and not the disaster many of us feared.
Yet from the IRS to the Department of Defense, government agencies have invoked interpretations of the Supreme Court decision the justices never intended -- to recognize federal benefits for same-sex "marriage" even in states that hold a natural definition of marriage.
And that is a challenge we must confront
For example, now the IRS extends tax benefits to same-sex couples and says that same-sex partners of military personnel are entitled to marital benefits. That's not what the Supreme Court said to do!
The Obama Department of Labor (DOL) is attempting to preempt the marriage laws of 34 states and launch federal same-sex benefits nationwide. That's not what the Supreme Court said to do!
The Department of Labor's move is a direct challenge to the autonomy granted to the states by the Constitution and by the parts of DOMA that are still law. Even worse, it ignores the will of the voters in a super majority of states who consistently cast their ballots to uphold the definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
I believe strongly that this DOL ploy will force same-sex "marriage" on private employers who provide benefits under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
What will happen if we fail to block this effort to normalize same-sex "marriage"?
The traditional family will not be the only casualty. The religious freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment will be nullified as Christians are forced to choose between living in accordance with biblical truth and breaking the law.
I can cite hundreds of examples of how this is happening already. But let me share two:
- Elaine Huguenin, a New Mexico photographer politely declined to photograph a "commitment" ceremony between two lesbians. Why? Because her Christian beliefs conflicted with the message communicated by the ceremony. Elaine was fined almost $7,000 by the New Mexico Human Rights Commission. The New Mexico Supreme Court ruled that being forced to compromise her Christian faith was "the price of citizenship."
- Or consider the case of Christian sportscaster Craig James. He was fired by FOX Sports, not for anything he said on the air, but for saying that "marriage is the union between a man and a woman" during a campaign for the U.S. Senate months prior.
This is absolutely chilling. You can now be punished for what you think.
FRC Has a Strategy to Halt the Madness
- In Congress: Thanks in part to FRC, legislation has been introduced in Congress to protect the liberty of those who hold a traditional view of marriage. Congress can stop the federal government from waging war on anyone who stands for natural marriage! FRC is supplying the research and information they need.
- In the States: FRC also is very active at the state level where the President has been trying to force governors to comply with his redefinition of marriage. FRC continues to give governors and state legislators the intellectual ammunition they need to defend biblical marriage.
- In the National Media and Grassroots: FRC is also taking our message directly to the American people via our nationally syndicated daily radio program, Washington Watch. We also are sending Washington Update e-mail alerts to over 600,000 Americans daily, producing creative videos and ads, publishing original research, and shaping the national debate via social media.
Don't believe the pessimists trying to trick you into giving up.
By supporting FRC, you are proving that you're not content to sit on the sidelines and wait for things to change. FRC is working overtime to change the direction of our country by giving activists, pastors, Congress, governors, and state legislatures the support they need to stand firm and advance traditional marriage.
Please give generously to the work of FRC. History shows that a determined movement such as ours can win, even when facing "giants" like Barack Obama.
As we are faithful, we will halt Barack Obama's liberal misguided agenda that ignores the biblical foundation of marriage and makes a mockery of God's vision for the family.
Thank you in advance for your timely and generous gift. At this season of the year, I am especially thankful for your faithfulness to the vital mission of FRC. You are making a difference.