Welcome back to the Social Conservative Review! After an August hiatus, we are easing into fall with an abbreviated version and will send out our regular edition next week.
This shortened SoCon focuses on two issues: religious liberty and the Planned Parenthood videos. Why? Because they both involve urgent threats, one to our "first freedom," the other to something even more fundamental -- life itself.
God is the Author of life, and thus taking life unjustly is an assault on His sovereignty. God is the Author of liberty; since as He has made us in His image, our foremost duty is to follow Him unimpeded by any human institution -- including the state.
Since 1973, the right to life has been quashed for upwards of 60 million unborn persons. The right to practice one's faith in not just private but also public and professional life is under growing threat.
Yet as Christians confront evil, they are mindful of its ultimate defeat, its eternal impermanence, and its impotence in the presence of a good, victorious, and omnipotent God. It is with that confidence that we love our enemies, fight bad policies, and work for justice.
Family Research Council
P.S. Join FRC in calling on Congress to defund Planned Parenthood. And be sure to join us, in person or online, for Dr. Ryan Anderson’s September 9th lecture, “Truth Overruled: The Future of Marriage and Religious Freedom.”
- The Real Story of the Summer - Pete Spiliakos, First Things
- In New Video, StemExpress CEO Says She Wants ‘Intact Cases,’ ’50 Livers a Week’ From Abortion Facilities – Kate Scanlon, Daily Signal
- Five states defund and 13 states investigate Planned Parenthood – Danny Burton, Live Action
- The Left’s War on Science: From ‘Unborn Youth’ to ‘Fetus’ – Rob Schwarzwalder, Canon and Culture
- 65,000 Pro-Life Advocates Protest at 342 Planned Parenthood Sites – Timothy Morgan, Christianity Today
- Nine Things You Should Know About Margaret Sanger – Joe Carter, The Gospel Coalition
- Four out of Five Atheists and Agnostics Think Photographer Has Right to Say No to Gay Wedding – Travis Weber, Family Research Council
- Conservatives Plot to Get Religious Liberty Bill to Obama’s Desk – Kelsey Harkness, The Stream
- Christian Integrity in a Hostile Culture – Rick Plasterer, Juicy Ecumenism
- The Decline—and Fall?—of Religious Freedom in America / In the Crosshairs of the Assault on Religious Liberty – Bruce Abramson and Jonathan V. Last, Mosaic
- Colorado Court Rules Against Baker Who Refused to Serve Same-Sex Couples – Erik Eckholm, New York Times