CONTACT: J.P. Duffy or Darin Miller, (866) FRC-NEWS or (866) 372-6397
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Family Research Council's (FRC) Marriage and Religion Research Institute (MARRI) will hold a press conference and webcast lecture event tomorrow to release its third annual Index of Family Belonging and Rejection and a new derivative study, U.S. Social Policy: Dependence on the Family. The webcast will be held at 12:30 p.m. Eastern at the FRC Media Center at 801 G Street, NW, Washington, D.C. The index is the most robust measure of the health of the U.S. family. The derivative study covers 18 public policy outcomes, such as teenage out-of-wedlock birth, education achievement, income and productivity, dependency on government, and healthcare, across over 500 U.S. Census areas.
Co-authors Pat Fagan, Ph.D., Henry Potrykus, Ph.D., and Nicholas Zill, Ph.D. will be in attendance to discuss their findings, with commentary by Alfonso Aguilar, president of The Latino Partnership.
Study highlights include:
- The Index of Family Belonging for the U.S. is now 45 percent, meaning only 45 percent of U.S. teenagers aged 15 to 17 have grown up with both biological married parents. The parents of the remaining 55 percent are no longer together.
- In the average large city, just over three in ten teenagers have grown up with both married parents (36 percent) - significantly lower than the national average Family Belonging Index.
- Only three of the 45 largest U.S. cities have an Index of Family Belonging greater than 50 percent.
Pat Fagan, Ph.D., director, Marriage & Religion Research Institute (MARRI)
Henry Potrykus, Ph.D., senior fellow, MARRI
Nicholas Zill, Ph.D.
Alfonso Aguilar, president, The Latino Partnership
WHAT: Release of the 3rd annual Index of Family Belonging and Rejection and of the derivative study U.S. Social Policy: Dependence on the Family
WHEN:12:30 p.m. Eastern, Tuesday (TOMORROW), February 12
WHERE: In Person: FRC Media Center, 801 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001; Online: http://www.frc.org/eventregistration/index-of-belonging-and-rejection-press-conference
A light luncheon will be provided for in-person attendees.