The Real Planned Parenthood: Leading the Culture of Death 2018 EditionBy Family Research Council
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the primary provider of abortions in the U.S. According to PPFA’s most recent 2016-2017 annual report, it committed 321,384 abortions in fiscal year 2016, down by 6,964 abortions since 2015.[i]
- According to these numbers, Planned Parenthood aborted 881 babies every single day in fiscal year 2016.
- In other words, a baby was aborted every 98 seconds at a Planned Parenthood facility in the U.S. in 2016.
- According to a January 2017 Guttmacher Institute report, 926,200 abortions were committed in 2014.[ii] In 2014, 323,999 abortions were committed by Planned Parenthood and its affiliates.[iii] Therefore, in 2014 Planned Parenthood was responsible for 35% of all abortions committed in the U.S., an increase from 31.5%in 2011.
- From 2011-2016, Planned Parenthood committed over 1.9 million abortions (1,962,514).[iv]
- Additionally, between 2011-2016 Planned Parenthood gave out an average of 1.16 million emergency contraception kits annually.[v] Emergency contraception, such as Plan B, can kill a human embryo if fertilization has already occurred.[vi]
- In their 2015-2016 report, Planned Parenthood reported having nearly 650 health centers.[vii] In 2016-2017, they reported having just over 600, though did not disclose how many closed this past year in addition to 56 regional affiliates.[viii] Both the numbers of facilities and affiliates continue to drop each year and are at an all-time low. In 2016 alone, 20 Planned Parenthood facilities closed.[ix] At its height in 1995, there were 938 Planned Parenthood facilities. With just over 600 facilities in 2017, there was more than a one-third decrease in the number of facilities.Affiliates have also consistently dropped from 190 in 1983 to 56 in 2017, a 71% decrease.
[i] “2016-2017 Annual Report,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/uploads/filer_public/d4/50/d450c016-a6a9-4455-bf7f-711067db5ff7/20171229_ar16-17_p01_lowres.pdf.
[ii] Rachel K. Jones and Jenna Jerman, “Abortion Incidence and Service Availability In the United States, 2014,” Perspectives On Sexual and Reproductive Health 49 (2017): 1, accessed March 24, 2017, doi: https://doi.org/10.1363/psrh.12015.
[iii] “Planned Parenthood, 2014-2015 Annual Report,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed June 12, 2017, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/2114/5089/0863/2014-2015_PPFA_Annual_Report_.pdf.
[iv] “Planned Parenthood, Care. No matter what, Annual Report 2011-2012,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/4912/9620/1413/PPFA_AR_2012_121812_vF.pdf; “Planned Parenthood, Care. No matter what, Annual Report 2012-2013,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/7413/9620/1089/AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf; “Planned Parenthood, Our Health. Our Decisions. Our Moment, Annual Report 2013-2014,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/6714/1996/2641/20132014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSION.pdf; “Planned Parenthood, 2014-2015 Annual Report,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/2114/5089/0863/2014-2015_PPFA_Annual_Report_.pdf; “2015-2016 Annual Report,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/uploads/filer_public/18/40/1840b04b-55d3-4c00-959d-11817023ffc8/20170526_annualreport_p02_singles.pdf.
[v] See 2011-2016 annual reports listed above.
[vi] Susan Wills, Esq. “New Studies Show All Emergency Contraceptives Can Cause Early Abortion,” Charlotte Lozier Institute, January 1, 2014, accessed February 20, 2018, https://www.lozierinstitute.org/emergencycontraceptives/.
[vii] “2015-2016 Annual Report” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, accessed February 19, 2018, p. 2.
[viii] “Planned Parenthood at a Glance,” Planned Parenthood, accessed June 7, 2017, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/planned-parenthood-at-a-glance.
[ix] Brad Mattes, “20 Planned Parenthood Abortion Biz Clinics Closed Last Year, 13 Have Closed This Year,” LifeNews.com, May 25, 2017, accessed June 6, 2017, http://www.lifenews.com/2017/05/25/20-planned-parenthood-abortion-biz-clinics-closed-last-year-13-have-closed-this-year/.