Prayer Targets: Liberty v. Socialism; Leo the Hero; SPLC; VVS; AF Prayer; Brunson; Jack Phillips
August 15, 2018
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge... (Hosea 4:6)
Dear Praying Friends,
Dr. Wayne Grudem is Research Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Phoenix Seminary in Phoenix, Arizona. He studied at Harvard (B.A.) Westminster Seminary, Philadelphia (M.Div., D.D), and the University of Cambridge, England (Ph.D.). He has published over twenty books and was General Editor of the ESV Study Bible. These excerpts contrasting free markets and socialism are from his book, Politics According to the Bible:
Several factors support the idea that the free market is almost always a better way of solving an economic problem than government ownership or control.
(1) The Bible's teaching on the role of government gives support to the idea of a free market rather than socialism or communism. This is because nothing in the Bible's teachings on the role of government would give the government warrant to take over ownership or control of private businesses, which would have included farms and traders and small shops in the ancient world... The government is to punish evil and reward those who do good and enforce order in society. It is not to own the property or businesses of a nation.
(2) The Bible gives repeated warnings against a ruler who would use his power to "take" what rightfully belongs to the people, including their fields and vineyards, for example. These are the ancient parallels to modern factories and companies.
(3) The Bible's teaching about private property indicates that property rightfully belongs to individual people [families], not to the government (and businesses are one form of property).
(4) The Bible's emphasis on the value of human liberty also argues for a free market system rather than a socialist or communist system. A free market allows individuals to choose where they work, what they buy, how they run a business, and how they spend their money. But a government-controlled economy makes these decisions for people rather than allowing people freedom to make them for themselves.
(5) History demonstrates time and again that the free market brings better results than a government-controlled economy or government control of any section of the economy.
Here is what I mean by a free market: A wonderful, God-given process in human societies through which the goods and services that are produced by the society (supply) continually adjust to exactly match the goods and services that are wanted by the society (demand) at each period of time, and through which the society assigns a measurable value to each good and service at each period of time, entirely through the free choices of every individual person in the society rather than through government control. (But this process needs some government regulation to prevent wrongdoing such as theft, fraud, and breaking of contracts.) ...
Governmental distortions of the free market mean that market prices are no longer a good signal of consumer demands or producer supplies. Therefore, supply and demand will not match, and the market will not naturally "clear." Overproduction and waste of some things and underproduction and rationing of other things necessarily result. Both waste and rationing are very costly to an economy. Waste costs the public more tax dollars and the freedom to spend those dollars, since they have to pay for the government-caused waste. Rationing costs the public more time and personal freedom, as people have to wait on a list rather than be able to purchase the things they want or need. (Dr. Wayne Grudem, Politics According to the Bible: A Comprehensive Resource for Understanding Modern Political Issues In Light Of Scripture. Grudem has also written, with co-author Barry Asmus, a far more extensive book covering this topic: The Poverty of Nations: A Sustainable Solution.)
The current fixation on socialism by so many of our citizens, especially the younger generations, reveals a deep ignorance of fundamental economics and history. Our educational institutions have become overrun with overt and covert advocates of Marxism, while labeling themselves as "Progressives." Politicians on the Left now openly advocate socialism. Too many Americans are utterly ungrateful for the blessings we enjoy as a nation. If this continues, things do not bode well for the future of liberty. Christians must pray, preach, and educate our own people to be ready to answer this coming conflict!
In Karl Marx's economic elixir was a fundamental hatred for God. At its heart was atheism. At every turn, his scheme was against human liberty, including religious liberty. The cry for socialism is a cry from people who do not know God and look to human government as provider. As a result, government becomes their god and ultimately their dictator. Like the ancient Jews, they reject God as King and Provider, and with him true liberty (1 Sam 8: all). Like Karl Marx, those who advocate socialism, whether they know it or not, are false prophets and teachers like those spoken of by the Apostle Peter: "While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage" (2 Pet 2:19). And it is no coincidence that those who promote socialism advocate the same kinds of lawlessness outlined in that Scripture (sexual immorality, disregard for righteous authority, godlessness, etc.). Liberty is a gift from God. We are watching a once God-blessed nation turning from God and His blessings, from the accumulated knowledge of world history, and all the sound wisdom and principles of liberty with which America has been blessed, to ignorance and lawlessness. If we continue down this path, it will be among the worst tragedies of all time.
In America, we reveal whom we worship by the seriousness with which we take our liberty and use it (1 Cor 7:21; Gal 5:1, 12-14). When Israel demanded a king like other nations, they did not understand that they were rejecting God. Yet Samuel told them. We choose whether we want God or man to be our king every time we go to the ballot box. Dear friends, pray for our nation and do what you can to help guide our fellow citizens as the hours fly by until Election Day (read Ron Boehme's "Summer of Socialism, Reject the Hype;" watch Bob McEwen's "Politics, Easy as Pie").
Celebrating "Leo the Hero" and Prayer -- Today, August 15, 2018, is the sixth anniversary of FRC Building Operations Manager Leonardo (Leo) Johnson's heroic action that saved the lives of scores of people. On that day in 2012, at 10:45 a.m. (as the FBI has reported): "[Floyd] Corkins entered the office of the Family Research Council (FRC)... and encountered an unarmed security guard. Corkins retrieved a firearm from his backpack and pointed it at the security guard. The security guard charged Corkins and a struggle ensued, during which Corkins fired three shots, striking the guard in the arm. Despite the gunshot wound and Corkins' subsequent discharges of the gun, the security guard, Leonardo Johnson, heroically succeeded in disarming the defendant and forcing him to the ground and onto his belly. According to a statement of offense, signed by the defendant as well as the government, Corkins targeted the Family Research Council because of its views, including its advocacy against recognition of gay marriage."
"In a search after the shooting, MPD officers discovered two fully loaded magazine clips in one of Corkins' front pants pockets, as well as a Metro card and a handwritten list containing the names of the Family Research Council and three other organizations that openly identify themselves as having socially conservative agendas. A search of Corkins' backpack turned up, among other items, a box of 50 rounds of 9mm ammunition. They also found 15 individually wrapped sandwiches that Corkins had purchased the previous day from Chick-fil-A."
"Corkins later made statements to the FBI in which he said that he was a political activist and considered the Family Research Council to be a lobbying group. He also stated that he intended to kill as many people as possible and smother the Chick-fil-A sandwiches into their faces. Among other things, he said, "Chick-fil-A came out against gay marriage, so I was going to use that as a statement."
Another part of the story of interest to the Prayer Team: FRC has a network of dedicated prayer warriors who routinely pray over our staff and our work. One intercessor from Michigan was moved to fly to Washington to spend a day of prayer in FRC's Prayer Room shortly before the assault. When she exited the building, she heard the Lord say, "Because you prayed, no one will die." On the day prior to the shooting, FRC conducted its routine monthly "Intercessory Prayer Leaders' Summit." About 50 attended the six-hour-long meeting. One of the prayer leaders had to leave early to catch a plane, but she asked the FRC staff member leading the meeting, "please don't close the meeting before asking the group to take special time to pray for the security and safety of FRC and the staff." Shortly after she left, the group burst out in spontaneous prayer characterized by great gravity and unction. It went on about a half hour. After those prayers came to an end, the meeting was over.
The following day, when the staff learned that a shooting had taken place, we were ordered by the FBI to not leave the building. We all gathered together to pray, initially groups on each floor but at midday all together. We prayed for Leo and for the shooter. We had few details, except that Leo was injured and that the shooter was arrested. It was only later that we learned that the shooter had intended to kill all of us and that he was drawn to FRC because the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) had listed FRC on their "Hate Group" web map (read the FBI summary report linked below). Since that fateful day, yet another shooter who indicated his support for the SPLC assaulted a group of Republican lawmakers who were practicing together for a charity baseball game in Washington, D.C. He shot and severely wounded Louisiana Congressman Steve Scalise (R), and wounded two police officers assigned to protect the Congressmen (see FBI Archives; Interview with Leo; The Media's Double Standard; Watch Security Footage of Shooting).
- Please join us in thanking God for Leo Johnson and his family; for giving Leo the courage and presence of mind to act as he did, saving the lives of dozens of FRC staff members. Lord, we thank you for sparing the life of Leo and pray you will speak to the shooter, Floyd Corkins, in prison and that he will find repentance and salvation through Jesus Christ. Lord you teach us to pray for those who hate us. We, pray, too for the SPLC and its leaders, whose behavior has incited more hate than all the many Christian organizations they have falsely accused. Grant them repentance, Lord; protect past and future victims of their misguided hatred, which has played a part in acts terrorism and attempted murders. Lord, grant them repentance and bring divine righteousness and justice to bear upon their deeds. Lord, graciously move to end the hatred, anger, and coarse rhetoric that evil forces have stirred up that will, otherwise, predictably lead to violence. Help us as a people to labor for the unity and brotherly love that only You can make happen. In Jesus' Name, Amen. (2 Sam 23:13-17; Pr 10:12; 16:5; 6:16-19; 19:5, 9; Ps 133; Mt 5:43-45; Mk 2:17; 3:25; Acts 9:1-7; Jas 3:1-18; Rev 21:27; 22:15)
Finally, The Prayer Targets will be on hiatus for the next two weeks, returning after Labor Day. Meanwhile, we cannot cease to pray during this critical period running up through the elections. 1) Please visit FRCAction.org, download the free "Stand Firm" App, and pray over the iVoter Guide and other resources. Visit FRC.org for blogs, Alerts, Press Releases and videos. Read the Social Conservative Review, all of which will give you information and motivation to pray. Listen daily to "Washington Watch" at TonyPerkins.com; 2) The 2018 Values Voter Summit is on September 21-23; 3) Upcoming Watchmen Pastors Briefings are in Springfield, Mo. on Aug. 16 and in St. Louis, Mo. on Aug. 21; 4) An Air Force General is under assault for operating a personal prayer website -- see more; 5) Lawsuits are presently under consideration by 60 organizations who have wrongfully been designated "Hate Groups" by the SPLC; 6) Here is the latest on Pastor Brunson and Turkey; his latest appeal was rejected; 7) Colorado is attempting to punish baker Jack Phillips again, despite SCOTUS ruling in his favor... There is so much more. Thank you for praying!