Prayer Targets: Noah Webster; Declining Education & Christianity; Sex Ed; Socialist Voters; Kanye
November 06, 2019
You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7 NKJV)
Dear Praying Friends,
Known as the "Father of the Dictionary" and "Father of American Scholarship and Education," Noah Webster (bio) (1758-1843) was a lawyer, lexicographer, textbook author, political writer, newspaper editor, and outspoken Christian. His "blue-backed spellers" taught five generations of American children how to read and spell. In 1828 he published the first American Dictionary of the English Language (1828) and in 1833, the Webster Translation of the Bible. Taken from his many highly valued quotes:
Education is useless without the Bible. The Bible was America's basic text book in all fields. God's Word, contained in the Bible, has furnished all necessary rules to direct our conduct.
The Bible must be considered as the great source of all the truth by which men are to be guided in government as well as in all social transactions.
Every civil government is based upon some religion or philosophy of life. Education in a nation will propagate the religion of that nation. In America, the foundational religion was Christianity. And it was sown in the hearts of Americans through the home and private and public schools for centuries. Our liberty, growth, and prosperity were the result of a Biblical philosophy of life. Our continued freedom and success are dependent on our educating the youth of America in the principles of Christianity.
The heart should be cultivated with more assiduity than the head.
The moral principles and precepts contained in the Scripture ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws.
The foundation of all free government and all social order must be laid in families and in the discipline of youth. Young persons must not only be furnished with knowledge, but they must be accustomed to subordination and subjected to the authority and influence of good principles. It will avail little that youths are made to understand truth and correct principles, unless they are accustomed to submitting to be governed by them... And any system of education... which limits instruction to the arts and sciences and rejects the aids of religion in forming the character of citizens, is essentially defective. (From http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Quotes)
God warned his people in Hosea's day, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children." (Hosea 4:6)
Ten Years of Declining Public Education Results -- Following the release of the 2019 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) results, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos stated:
Every American family needs to open The Nation's Report Card this year and think about what it means for their child and for our country's future. The results are, frankly, devastating. This country is in a student achievement crisis, and over the past decade it has continued to worsen, especially for our most vulnerable students.
Two out of three of our nation's children aren't proficient readers. In fact, fourth grade reading declined in 17 states and eighth grade reading declined in 31. The gap between the highest and lowest performing students is widening, despite $1 trillion in Federal spending over 40 years designated specifically to help close it.
This must be America's wake-up call. We cannot abide these poor results any longer. We can neither excuse them away nor simply throw more money at the problem.
Last Thursday, Dr. Bill Bennett, former U.S. Secretary of Education under Ronald Reagan, said, "In the long run, the failure of our students to be able to think, to read, to count is potentially catastrophic... We're going backwards 10... even 20 years." Those especially affected are kids on the lower end of the educational spectrum whose families do not value education, read to their children, or help them do homework. For them, "school can be the difference... But those are also the schools that are failing America the most." Bennett went on, "We do worse in American history than [in math and science]. It's our worst subject. Our students do not know who they are as Americans." Where history is taught, "it's left-wing, tendentious, and politically correct... This country is the greatest political story ever told... We are uniquely blessed, and we have taken unique advantage of those blessings. [But] our children have not been told that story." "If they do not know what they came from, what their legacy is, what their inheritance is, how will they support or defend it? ...We avoided the siren calls of communism... [But] this generation is buying into it... if this is not... an intellectual, moral, and political emergency -- I don't know what is."
Secy. DeVos and Dr. Bennett are both strong advocates for "school choice. "[You must have] the ability to educate your child the way you want... Entire generations are at risk of never learning anything but far-Left propaganda. While America is wasting its time on gender-neutral pronouns and sex ed and revisionist history, what do we think China's doing? ...While we're fooling around with this stuff? They're teaching [important] things..." The liberal Left says it has "so much sympathy and empathy for the poor [but] are putting them in schools [that do them a disservice]." Bennett says education is a great equalizer. "And we know how to do it, but we refuse to, because we bow down before political correctness, instead of doing what we know should be done and what will be successful." (Read Secy. DeVos' statement on NAEP results; hear Tony Perkins & Dr. Bill Bennett; get Dr. Bennett's America; The Last Best Hope)
- Father, how deep-seated is our rebellion. How thoroughly have we disobeyed your command to love you with all of our being and to diligently teach our children your word, to inculcate their minds and hearts to know your commands and ways. We have leased out our children to teachers and a system that teaches falsehoods. Lord, please grant us forgiveness and stir us to action. In Jesus' name, Amen. (Lev 18: all; Dt 4:40; Dt 6:4-25; 12:28; Dan 9:3-19; 2 Cor 6:14; Eph 6:4)
Radical LGBT Sex-Ed Coming to Your Community -- On Tuesday morning, October 29th, just after midnight, the Austin, Texas Independent School District (AISD) unanimously approved a new sex-ed program to be taught to children in grades 3-8, despite overwhelming opposition by district parents. What happens in our public schools will rapidly impact our culture, whether we opt our children out or not. Austin's KVUE reported that in addition to sexual orientation, the curriculum includes lessons on pregnancy prevention, sexually transmitted diseases, and consent, and will be taught beginning in May. Gender identity and expression, attraction, and sexual orientation lessons would begin at the fifth-grade level. Are you ready in your community for a curriculum like this? (Read Austin-tacious Sex Ed Riles Parents, City; Dr. Dobson Encourages Parents to Challenge Shocking Sex-ed Curriculum; Watch AISD hearing at minute 2:28)
- Father, may each of us rise to our responsibility as parents and require that anyone we delegate authority to educate our children in the fear God and teach them truth that is compatible with your commands -- truth and not lies. If our schools teach and promote egregious sin in any of their curricula, can they be trusted to teach truth in the rest? Lord, you have given us a charge to teach and train our children. Teach every believing parent and show them what they must do. Protect our children. Grant our teachers, administers, and government officials repentance and faith. May they be used to teach and protect our children and not be subject to the harsh judgment you promise those who bring harm to any child. Only you can send revival that will impact our entire nation. (Gen 18:19; Lev 18: all; Jer 10:2; Mt 18:6; Jude l)
70 Percent of Millennials Say They Will Vote Socialist -- According to a new poll released by Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation and conducted by YouGov, capitalism has plunged in popularity. And 36 percent of millennials polled (age 23-38) now approve of communism, up from 28 percent just a year ago. Marion Smith, executive director of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, said, "The historical amnesia about the dangers of communism and socialism is on full display... When we don't educate our youngest generations about the historical truth of 100 million victims murdered at the hands of communist regimes over the past century, we shouldn't be surprised at their willingness to embrace Marxist ideas." (Read more at MarketWatch)
- Lord, we have reaped what we have sown as we have sent our children to schools and colleges that are fundamentally hostile and opposed to sound biblical doctrine. Have mercy! And may we each be bold enough to preach the whole word as it applies to false philosophies. Save our children, young and old and teach us how to deliver each one with prayer, love, wise counsel, and truth!
Pew: Christianity Declining Rapidly in U.S., Especially Among Millennials -- 65 percent of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic, or "nothing in particular," now stands at 26 percent, up from 17 percent in 2009 (see U.S., Pew: Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace).
- Lord, forgive America's Christians who fail to evangelize and disciple anyone in the course of an average year. It is no wonder we see so many depart from you and embrace paganism of every kind. Fill us with your Spirit and grant us faith to act and to perform miracles among our own families, communities, and culture. (Hab 2:14; Gen 1:28; 32:12; Ps 89:4; 126:6; Mal 2:15; Mt 28:18-20)
Kanye West -- The American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, and designer has appeared to make a clear, open profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Last Friday, after a last-minute announcement, thousands of people gathered to worship with West in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Bethany Church Pastor Jonathan Stockstill introduced the rapper to the crowd. According to Fox News, over 1,000 people committed their lives to Christ. (See Fox News; CBN News; Lengthy Kanye interview; Hear FRC's Jared Bridges and David Closson discuss Kanye's New Album; "Jesus is King" Tops the Charts).
- God, we pray for our brother Kanye West. Help him to persevere amid persecution and temptation to become a mighty witness for Jesus to his fans and other celebrities in entertainment, sports, and other spheres, where too many have been an unhealthy influence upon our children and culture. May you yet fill our churches and parks and stadiums with seekers of God. May millions in America and billions around the globe come to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior! (Jn 21:14-17; Acts 2:41-43; 1 Tim 5:22; 2 Pet 1:3-8; 23:18)
Finally, Please make this a big, continuing item on your prayer list: FRC Men's Conferences are being planned for cities across America in 2019 and 2020 (see schedule here). If you know Jesus, study the word, and are an intercessor, you understand that our culture and some of our churches are confused as to what it means to be a man and what biblical manhood is. If this describes you, and you would be interested in serving as an on-site or from-home volunteer prayer team member for one or all of these scheduled conferences, please send me an email with your name, contact information, the name of your pastor and church, a little about your prayer background, and thoughts about this matter of urgent need for our nation. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, thank you for praying!