Prayer Targets: Voter Fraud and Ballot Harvesting; Life and the Presidential Veto; Abortion Vending
December 05, 2018
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness... rather expose them... everything exposed by the light becomes visible -- and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. (Ephesians 5:11-13)
Dear Praying Friends,
In "Voter Fraud," FRC ally the Heritage Foundation provides a short, easy-to-understand primer on this growing problem. Ever-more-liberal election laws in states like California invite wholesale election fraud. Focused prayer is needed to keep our elections honest and America free. Here are edited excerpts to help us pray.
Preserving the great experiment that is the American republic is dependent upon free and fair elections. When selecting a city councilor or the president of the United States, every American must be able to trust the process and the result, or the democratic system itself breaks down.
Election integrity is essential, and the security of the ballot box cannot be left to a simple honor system. It is incumbent upon state governments to safeguard the electoral process and ensure that every voter's right to cast a ballot is protected.
The history of voting in the United States -- Contrary to the claims of many liberals, the problem of voter fraud is as old as the country itself. As the U.S. Supreme Court noted when it upheld Indiana's voter identification law, "flagrant examples" of voter fraud "have been documented throughout this Nation's history by respected historians and journalists."
Attempts to commandeer election results have been documented dating back to the 19th century, when New York City's infamous Tammany Hall was synonymous with political corruption and election fraud. In one New York election 1844, 55,000 votes were recorded even though there were only 41,000 eligible voters. Decades later, these efforts have continued and determined fraudsters have become only more creative in their efforts to fix the outcome of elections.
Types of election fraud -- Criminals steal votes and change election outcomes in many ways:
- Impersonation fraud at the polls: Voting in the name of legitimate voters and voters who have died, moved away, or lost their right to vote because they are felons, but are registered.
- False registrations: Voting under fraudulent voter registrations that either use a phony name and a real or fake address or claim residence in a particular jurisdiction where the registered voter does not actually live and is not entitled to vote.
- Duplicate voting: Registering in multiple locations in more than one jurisdiction or state.
- Fraudulent use of absentee ballots: Requesting absentee ballots and voting without knowledge of the actual voter; or obtaining an absentee ballot from a voter and filling it in directly, forging the voter's signature, or illegally telling the voter who to vote for.
- Buying votes: Paying a voter to vote for a specific candidate in person or as an absentee voter.
- Illegal "assistance" at the polls: Forcing or intimidating voters (elderly, disabled, illiterate, or who have weak English skills, to vote for candidates under the guise of "assistance."
- Ineligible voting: Illegal registration or voting by non-U.S. citizens, convicted felons, and others ineligible to vote.
- Altering vote count: Changing the actual vote count in a precinct or where votes are counted.
- Ballot petition fraud: Forging the signatures of registered voters on ballot petitions required by some states for a candidate or issue to be listed on the official ballot.
- Can illegal votes affect election outcomes? The National Commission on Federal Election Reform states, the problem "is not the magnitude of voter fraud. In close or disputed elections, and there are many, a small amount of fraud could make the margin of difference." The U.S. Supreme Court has concurred with this assessment, noting that known instances of fraud "demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election." (Read the rest of Heritage's "Voter Fraud" brief, with examples of how voter fraud has impacted specific elections. See their documentation of 1,177 proven instances of voter fraud and 1,019 criminal convictions and more in their voter fraud map & database and 390-page printable report.)
Inviting Election Fraud: Ballot Harvesting -- Rarely has there been such widespread lawlessness encouraged and practiced in the United States like we see it today. While there have always been lawless people, over the past 10+ years, we have seen a president, governors, mayors, county executives, and even state legislators issue edicts and pass laws that are altogether lawless -- many from the standpoint of eternal moral law, but many also defiant against U.S. law duly enacted under the U.S. Constitution. Unfortunately, we have watched the U.S. Supreme Court issue sweeping rulings, fabricating from the "penumbras" of the Constitution a right to abortion and same-sex marriage and outlawing displays of the Ten Commandments. One remarkable such display is demonstrated by various jurisdictions that have declared themselves "sanctuary" cities, counties, or states, in open defiance of U.S. Immigration laws. Many of those jurisdictions have flatly refused to cooperate with federal authorities to investigate and apprehend foreign criminals and illegal immigrants within their borders.
But the state of California, where many liberal trends originate, has enacted dangerous election laws that can only lead to lawlessness that will affect every American to the degree that they affect federal elections.
Article 1, Section 4,1 of the U.S. Constitution reads, "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing (sic) Senators."
States claim states' rights to justify increasingly laxer and laxer election laws. The most widely known fraud-welcoming voter law is the law allowing individuals to vote without any identification -- a practice that obviously welcomes fraud. But despite every effort to make voting simple for legal voters, activists are pushing for even more reckless ways of harvesting votes. California, the hands-down winner in this trend, has enacted laws that allow a new practice called "ballot harvesting."
The practice led to a nationwide shock from the election results in Orange County, California. On Election night 2018, Orange County residents went to bed with Republicans having a strong lead in nearly every race. They woke up November 7th to discover that Democrats had swept the County. When harvested ballots had been counted, the election was reversed. California law allows for third parties to collect ballots from citizens and deliver or mail them to the Board of Elections postmarked by Election Day. Partisan activists who act as third party "harvesters" can easily discard ballots from voters that do not support their candidate and turn in the ballots they favor. It is widely believed that this is exactly what happened in Orange County. But there is no reason to believe that it will not happen in other California counties every election year going forward as activist harvesters work over the neighborhoods where the poor, migrants, illegal immigrants, college students, and others who traditionally would not otherwise vote, etc. This is an outrage. The votes for congresspersons and senators from California, the largest state in our Union, disproportionately impact the makeup of Congress. (Hear Tony Perkins and former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell discuss CA election law; See stomach-turning ballot-harvesting; Conservatives out-hustled; Ballot harvesting bounty; Speaker Ryan, "We lost nearly every contested race.")
- Heavenly Father, God of Righteousness and Justice, please intervene to prevent all lawlessness in all our state election laws and systems. May every state establish standards that ensure that only legitimate, registered voters are allowed the high privilege every American citizen enjoys, the right to vote for their leaders and expect that they will be counted. Expose, we pray, every illegal act that has or will affect our past or future elections. Vindicate those who are falsely accused and punish those guilty of election-related crimes. In every state, give our elected representatives a zeal to create and preserve integrity in all our election laws and procedures. May all Americans be vigilant and may Democrats, Republicans, and Independents be able to have confidence that our election laws are sound and that they are universally and judiciously executed. In Jesus' name, Amen. (Ex:18:21; Num 25:11; 2 Chr 13:12; Ps 89:14; Pr 11:3, 16:11; 20:10; Is 59:17; Eph 5:11-13; Jas 5:12)
Finally, please add these points to your Prayer List: 1) May God rest the soul of our 41st President George H.W. Bush. May Americans pause and learn from the lessons of his life: kindness, civility, and commitment to family, to duty, and to country; 2) Yale University, like most of our Ivy League schools, was founded to prepare gospel preachers. It is now installing vending machines to provide Plan B abortifacient pills to students. The University of California Davis was the first to try this in April of 2017; 3) Our friends at March for Life (to be held on Friday, January 18, 2019) are calling on President Trump to reject any spending bill that supports abortion in any way. We have been working hard behind the scenes to that very end for months. Please pray that President Trump will veto any spending bill that does not include the Hyde Amendment, which disallows any taxpayer dollars from being spent to fund abortion! 4) More current prayer material: The Social Conservative Review.
Thank you for praying!