Prayer Targets: Collegiate Day of Prayer; Business Bullies; Feb. 17 Protest; DC Assisted Suicide
February 15, 2017
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,for kings and all who are in high positions [of authority], that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly anddignified in every way. (1 Timothy 2:1-2 ESV)
Dear Praying Friends,
Dave Butts is President of Harvest Prayer Ministries, President of Herald of His Coming, and Chairman of America’s National Prayer Committee. He urges post-election prayer:
One of the most painful, confusing presidential elections in history is over. Regardless of your view on the results, life continues. The question before us as believers is, “Now what?” Will we stop praying for our nation or intensify our prayers? Was this really just about who would be the next President of the United States or did God use this election to stir us up in prayer to depend more upon Him than ever before?
Clearly it is not time to stop or slow down in our prayer lives. More than ever, the future of our nation depends upon the prayers of God’s people. Though there are many more things we can be praying about, of course, here are some very important ways to begin to seriously intercede for the United States in the days ahead.
- Healing in the church. One of the worst things to happen in this election has been the division among followers of Jesus. Pray for healing of relationships and for the desire of Jesus for unity among His disciples to be fulfilled. “...May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that You sent Me and have loved them even as You have loved Me” (Jn 17:23).
- Healing in the nation. This election has revealed the depths of division in our nation. Opposing world views that fought over the ballot box will continue to battle unless the Lord steps in and brings His peace. Pray especially for the true tolerance that allows for opposing views to be expressed freely (Eph 2:17).
- Wisdom for our new president.Leading this nation through these perilous times requires wisdom that only God can give. Pray especially for the choices for the cabinet and key advisors (Ps 111:10).
- Supreme Court choice.For many, the selection of Supreme Court justices became a key part of this election. Pray for wisdom for the president and the senate as they make choices that will impact our nation for many years. “This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another...’” (Zec 7:9).
- Truth to guide the media. Media bias and accuracy was a key concern and issue during this election. Pray for a spirit of truth to cover the media and that reporters and news networks would see their role as givers of information and not as shapers of thought (Pr 22:20-21).
- A stable economy.An election season such as this past one brings great uncertainty to an economy that was already unsteady. Ask the Lord to steady our economy so that His people can continue to give generously toward helping the poor and advancing the kingdom of Christ. (2 Cor. 8:9).
- Revival and a Great Awakening.One of the greatest benefits of this confusing election season has been the increasing awareness within the church that we desperately need revival. Pray for God to send another revival and Great Awakening to our nation that would awaken the church, bring salvation to millions, and transform the culture of our nation. “Oh, that You would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains would tremble before You! As when fire sets twigs ablaze and causes water to boil, come down to make Your name known to Your enemies and cause the nations to quake before You!” (Isa. 64:1-2) (Dave Butts, 7 Key Things to Pray Now that the Elections are Over, Herald of His Coming, with permission).
Collegiate Day of Prayer: Thursday, February 23rd – What our youth learn and experience in college will determine the course of our nation. Many of our once-great schools, attended by America’s brightest students and future leaders, have become cesspools of socialism and moral anarchy. Deception and chaos on college campuses is growing day by day. In 1823, Christian leaders designated the fourth Thursday of every February as a day for pastors, churches, families, and students to pray for revival and reformation in our nation’s colleges and universities. The observance helped fuel the Second Great Awakening and continued for 100 years. It is being rekindled today (see CDOP; History; Adopt a Campus).
- May God stir believers everywhere to pray for our colleges and universities! May He send a mighty revival and biblical transformation to our schools: students, parents, faculty, administrators, supporters, and alumni! May they encounter Christ in power, follow Him with their whole hearts, and be used to bring godly reform to our nation! (Pr 1:8-9, 10, 15; 3:1-18; 4:3-5:18; 17:6; 19:27-28; 23:17-28; 24:3-6; Ecc 12:13-14; 1 Tim 6:20; 2 Tim 2:15)
Big Business LGBT Bullies – The Obama administration and the U.S. Supreme Court used the power of their federal branches to force an immoral sexual agenda upon the American people, disregarding millions of Americans who understand their agenda to be contrary to Almighty God’s design for human flourishing in both the Old and New Testaments of the Bible. Polls showed that a strong majority of Americans believed that our nation was going in the wrong direction, and enough of them rushed to elect a new, more conservative president. Yet through intimidation and propaganda, LGBT activists have been quietly infiltrating big business boardrooms for decades. Now, without the White House on their side, big business leaders are foolishly allowing themselves to be used to perpetuate the former administration’s sexual fascism.
Following the lead of Apple, Target, the NCAA, and others, the National Football League (NFL) has warned that if Texas should pass SB 6 (which like North Carolina’s HB 2 would restrict the use of public-owned bathrooms to those of the appropriate biological gender), the NFL will reconsider holding future major football events in that state. With pro-LGBT Hollywood, liberal academia and the education lobby, the Democratic Party, and even many liberal church denominations sold out to sexual anarchy advocacy, the addition of big business to the mix increases pressure on leaders in states and localities who would otherwise hold fast to natural law, common sense, biblical truth and the Constitution.
Unfortunately, too many of America’s public school districts have succumbed to the Obama transgender policy and changed their policies to allow students to use the school bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers of their choice. Some administrators have quietly embraced the guidance while others are amid debate on the issue right now. As far as my research has found, wherever parents have had an opportunity to weigh in, they have overwhelming opposed embracing this unnatural policy. Thirteen states, including Texas, have joined together to sue the federal government over the Obama transgender “guidance.” The Trump Justice Department has indicated that it will not defend the Obama policy.
Earlier today, FRC produced and Tony Perkins led a Webcast Special entitled Privacy & Freedom: Good for Business. The video is available for viewing HERE and will be posted on various FRC websites. Please watch and urge everyone you know to watch this webcast (see Trump Washes His Hands of Bathroom Order).
- May the Privacy & Freedom: Good for Business Webcast “go viral!” May parents, educators, and business leaders in every American community have the benefit of fully understanding this matter. May they be given courage to stand up to intimidation from LGBT pressure groups and not succumb to fears of being accused of being “haters” and the like, simply because they hold fast to their faith and common sense. May God’s people continue to stand in the gap between those caught up in this sexual confusion and a Holy God who will not allow sexual anarchy to persist forever, nor allow the abuse of children by predatory adults who are beguiled by what is nothing less than a doctrine of demons. (Mt 18:5-6; Rom 1:18-32; 1 Tim 4:1-2; Jude 7; 2 Pet 2:1-19; Rev 3:11)
Finally, please pray over these matters: 1) This Friday, disgruntled liberal protestors, organized by those behind the Women’s March in Washington after the Inauguration and encouraged by no less than Barack Obama, are planning protests in major cities across America. Though they are calling for non-violent protest against President Trump, others promoting these protests have called for riots. Pray that these protests, some financed by George Soros, will die from natural decline and fruitlessness. May all citizens be moved to use their energies and voices for productive activities that will help build up our nation, not tear it down. 2) Congress is moving too slowly on a measure to prevent the practice of physician assisted suicide. A law to legalize the practice has been passed by the D.C. City Council. If Congress does not act by Friday, the practice will begin. God help us! 3) We have suffered eight years of the Obama administration’s persecution of believers with sincerely-held religious beliefs who dared to defy their godless policies. Click HERE to join us in asking President Trump to sign an executive order protecting religious freedom. And ask God to lead him to do so.
As always, thank you for praying!