Obamacare uses taxpayer funds to subsidize abortion by various means:
- Obamacare bypasses the Hyde Amendment by directly appropriating taxpayer funds in the form of advanceable, refundable tax credits to help low- and moderate-income individuals purchase healthcare plans even if they include elective abortion coverage.
- Obamacare can directly fund elective abortion through a total of nearly $24 billion in appropriations to non-profit health co-ops, Community Health Centers, and the now expired high-risk pool plans program that have no restrictions on elective abortion funding. These funds can be used directly to pay for elective abortion since the funds are not restricted by the Hyde Amendment.
- Obamacare also contains an abortion surcharge. Individuals who enroll in a federally subsidized healthcare plan that includes elective abortion coverage will be required to pay an abortion surcharge of no less than $1 per month. These funds will be used to pay the cost of other people's abortions enrolled in that plan.
- Obamacare violates the principle of the Hyde Amendment by subsidizing government-run health plans, called Multi State Plan (MSPs), even if they include elective abortion coverage.
- The government's Office of Personnel Management (OPM) chose to allow members of Congress and their staff to obtain taxpayer-subsidized insurance coverage that could include elective abortion coverage in violation of the Smith Amendment which has up to now prevented government subsidies to federal employees for plans with elective abortion coverage.
Obamacare also uses taxpayer funds to subsidize abortion providers:
- Federal funds can flow directly to abortion providers like Planned Parenthood, to work as "navigators" and "assisters."
- Obamacare also requires insurance companies to contract with health care facilities marked as Essential Community Providers which includes at least 588 Planned Parenthood and other family planning facilities that may perform abortions.