Prayer Targets: National Day of Prayer; USCIRF Persecution Report; Infanticide Insanity
May 01, 2019
"Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church." (Acts 12:5)
Dear Praying Friends,
Dr. Ronnie Floyd, President of National Day of Prayer (NDP) and Chairman of the FRC Board, set the theme "Love One Another" from John 13:34 for tomorrow's annual observance. In fact, click to view the livestream of the event in Statuary Hall in the U.S. Capitol, beginning at 7:30 PM Eastern. Dr. Floyd also provided an excellent Prayer Guide, which follows:
1. ASK GOD TO BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord—the people He has chosen to be His own possession!" Psalm 33:12
- Ask God to forgive us as a nation for our sinful choices and ways, covering us with His Son's blood, and extending blessing and favor upon the United States of America because of His great mercy.
- Ask God to bless America spiritually in a new and fresh way and move us to return to the Lord our God.
- Ask God to bless America by raising up godly leaders in all areas of our nation: locally, regionally, statewide, and nationally.
- Ask God to bless America economically so that all people in our nation will be blessed and so we can be a blessing to the entire world.
- Ask God to bless America by securing our nation from all evil and harm from within our nation and from outside our nation.
2. PRAY FOR AMERICANS TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER, BEGINNING AMONG CHRIST FOLLOWERS
"Love one another. Just as I have loved you..." John 13:34
- The present anger, division, and broken relationships in America are calling us to pray for and take all necessary actions to remember God's love for us so we will love one another.
- God is the only One who can bring unity, harmony, and oneness in America; therefore, we look only to Him in prayer, asking for this love to prevail.
- Call upon God to create a major Love One Another movement across America and empower us to make every effort to live in unity with one another, call for unity, and continually forward unity in America.
3. PRAY FOR THE CENTERS OF INFLUENCE IN AMERICA
"First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." 1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Pray for the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the United States government to value one another, respect one another, and work together for the good of our nation.
- Pray for America's military, its leaders, and all personnel to be protected by God, and for the courage to depend upon God.
- Pray for the members of our media in America to be respectful of all people, bearing truth, and inspiring our nation with stories about loving one another.
- Pray for America's businesses to have leaders of integrity, be creators of economic blessing, and givers to the community.
- Pray for America's centers of education to create a culture of respect and love for one another.
- Pray for the churches of America to model and be examples of love for one another, inspiring a Love One Another movement to occur.
- Pray for the families in America to return to the biblical model, creating families that practice forgiveness and love.
4. ASK GOD FOR THE NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER ON THURSDAY, MAY 2, TO BECOME A CATALYTIC SPIRITUAL MOVEMENT ACROSS AMERICA
"They all were continually united in prayer." Acts 1:14
- Lord, we ask You to call your church to love one another, so Your church can call our nation to love and unity on the National Day of Prayer and in the future.
- Lord, we ask You to move each of us to love one another in the same way you love us: willfully, sacrificially, and unconditionally.
- Lord, we ask You to empower our National Day of Prayer volunteers across America, who will lead and serve in thousands of observances on Thursday, May 2.
- Lord, we ask You to use and anoint Dr. Ronnie Floyd, the President of the National Day of Prayer Task Force, as he provides leadership the entire week; but, most importantly the National Observance of the National Day of Prayer in historic Statuary Hall in the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, DC, on Thursday, May 2, at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
- Lord, we ask You to give Dr. Floyd the exact words needed for every media interview related to the National Day of Prayer.
- Lord, we ask You to use the thousands upon thousands of observances of the National Day of Prayer to be a catalytic spiritual movement across America, ushering in the revival of the church and the next Great Spiritual Awakening in America.
We pray in agreement! (Click Here for the Printable Version)
USCIRF Persecution Report -- With the Sri Lankan terrorist bombings on Easter Sunday and the synagogue shooting in the greater San Diego area on the final day of Passover as grim reminders of what is at stake, the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) presented its 20th report on the most repressive countries for faith. FRC President Tony Perkins joined his fellow USCIRF commissioners on Monday in highlighting some of the worst abusers of freedom, while offering recommendations to the Trump administration for what it can do to help stem the tide of persecution.
USCIRF designated the following top 10 Countries of Particular Concern (CPCs) for egregious and ongoing violations: Burma, China, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan. As we noted in the Prayer Targets a couple of weeks ago, China, with its crackdown on Christians, is especially deserving of the CPC label. The government has removed the First Commandment: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" from a Ten Commandments plaque, torn down crosses and steeples, and demolished church buildings. Additionally, they have unjustly imprisoned Christians like Pastor David Lin, who desperately needs our prayers. Yet Christians are not the only target of persecution in China with their concentration camps for Uyghur Muslims and their harsh treatment of Falun Gong. All this shows that China's threat to people of faith is as severe as ever.
Yet as USCIRF points out, there are other countries who should receive scrutiny from the U.S. State Department, such as Central African Republic, Nigeria, Russia, Syria, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam. In these countries, religion is used as an excuse to isolate, marginalize, and punish innocent people of faith. In Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, there have been waves of hatred and violence incited by blasphemy laws. In India, the threat is the increasing secularization of religion. All around the globe, there is the suppression of faith.
However, there are bright spots. As former Congressman Frank Wolf, author of the legislation that created USCIRF, pointed out in a radio interview with Tony on Washington Watch that the Trump administration was making positive moves as compared to the previous [Obama] administration. Exhibit A offered was the treatment of the Iraqi Christians who had been decimated by ISIS. Wolf said: "Keep in mind that more biblical activity took place in Iraq than any other country except Israel. Abraham was born in Iraq, Daniel lived in Iraq, is buried in Iraq. Ezekiel is buried in Iraq. Jonah's tomb was blown up by ISIS." Wolf then observed that the "The Trump-Pence administration changed the whole policy. The previous [Obama] administration gave all the aid through the UN, but it was not getting to the Christians. It was not getting to the Yazidis. ISIS was expanding. So this [Trump] administration, one, defeated ISIS in the Nineveh plains area. Secondly the aid is now moving. Every day is a better day for the Christians...so this administration has turned it around."
Wolf and the USCIRF report also touted great progress in the release of Pastor Andrew Brunson from Turkey and the efforts of President Trump to make international religious freedom a priority. Let's pray for those efforts to succeed. (USCIRF Report; Chinese remove First Commandment; Chinese remove Steeples and Crosses; Chinese dynamite Megachurch; Pledge to Pray for Pastor David Lin; Interview with Former Congressman Wolf on Washington Watch, opening segment)
- Loving Father, your word calls us to "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since [we] also are in the body." We plead with you to bring relief to our brothers and sisters in the midst of their suffering, even if it is only the relief of your comforting and peace-giving presence. Give them your sufficient grace and strength in the midst of their weakness. We ask especially that you would cause your face to shine on Pastor Lin in his dark place and give him hope. Give all those persecuted the assurance that you see, hear, and are at work. May U.S. leaders use their influence and the power of the purse to end persecution against people of faith. (Heb. 13:3; 2 Cor. 12:9; Num. 6:24-26; Exod. 3:7-8; 1 Tim. 2:1-4)
Infanticide Insanity -- President Donald Trump spoke over the weekend at a packed political rally in Green Bay and yet again addressed the insanity of infanticide, calling out Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers (D). "Your Democrat governor here in Wisconsin shockingly stated that he will veto legislation that protects Wisconsin babies born alive," he said with disbelief. "The baby is born, the mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby. I don't think so. It's incredible."
Governor Evers fired back at the president, saying "To say that doctors in the state of Wisconsin are executing babies is just a blasphemy." He went on to say that Republicans should support his Medicaid expansion bill if they really care about women and children.
Not surprisingly the opposition media also pounced on the president's remarks, arguing that he was promoting an "incendiary falsehood." Well that is, as Trump would say to both Evers and the media, "Fake News!" Only six states give statistics on how many babies who survived a botched abortion have been allowed to die (and Wisconsin is not one of them), and the CDC reports that since 2002 the number is 143. But that is 143 too many! Meanwhile, CNN took particular exception to the word "execute," which they insist never happens. However, as Prayer Target readers know, we have eyewitness evidence of the contrary from the clinics of Kermit Gosnell and Douglas Karpan. If snipping a newborn's spinal cord or snapping her neck isn't execution, what is? So the media, the Democrat governors standing in the way of born alive bills in Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Montana, and some Democrats in Congress can pontificate all they want. It still happens, and it needs to stop.
Again, we are encouraging people to call their U.S. Representatives through the Capitol Hill Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Simply request that your representative sign on to the discharge petition for HR 962: Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act. We still need about 20-25 Democrats to join the Republicans who are already signed on, which would allow a vote on this life-saving bill. Click here to track the signatures on the discharge petition to see if your Representative has signed. Please pray for the success of the End Birth Day Abortion campaign! (Legal Infanticide: Biggest Mistake Evers; Wisconsin Governor calls Trump comments 'blasphemy'; EndBirthDayAbortion.com/church)
- Almighty God, who removes kings and raises up kings, we thank you for a president who is so outspoken on the precious gift of life, the first enumerated God-given right in our Declaration of Independence. Lord, your word says that the king's heart is in your hand to turn. So we pray for these leaders that you would turn their hearts to acknowledge the reality that every life is precious and should be welcomed, not callously allowed to die or, even worse, terminated. Lord, hear our cry on behalf of the pre-borns and those babies who survive abortions. Lord, bring an end to birth day abortions! (Dan. 2:21; Prov. 21:1; Psalm 139:13-14; 127:3-5; Exod. 20:13; Prov. 24:11-12)
Finally, I am happy to announce that Pierre Bynum, who faithfully produces the Prayer Targets, will be back next week to resume his duties. Thank you for praying for him and joining us in praying for America!