Prayer Targets: Religious Freedom Day; March for Life Prayer Opportunities; Sanctity of Life Sunday
January 16, 2019
Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don't stand back and let them die. Don't try to disclaim responsibility by saying you didn't know about it. For God, who knows all hearts, knows yours, and he knows you knew! And he will reward everyone according to his deeds. (Pr 24:11-12)
Dear Praying Friends,
Larry Tomczak, evangelist, pastor, church planter, and author of ten books, has served for decades on Intercessors for America's board of directors. Known for his incisive cultural commentary, Larry's op-eds appear weekly in numerous online Christian publications and his own website LarryTomczak.com. A friend for over 40 years, I am glad to share these excerpts from Larry's 1/2/19 commentary:
Chilling. Appalling. Staggering. These words probably do not capture the significance of a recent study revealing what is now the No. 1 cause of death globally.
Cancer? Malaria? Heart disease? Car accidents? HIV/AIDS? Cigarette smoking? They've all been displaced by the new cause that resulted in more deaths in 2018 than all these combined.
Worldometers, voted "best" by the American Library Association, just released their figures for population, births and deaths. Closing out the year, 8.2 million people died from cancer, 5 million from smoking and 1.7 million from HIV/AIDS.
But 41.9 million babies, developing and destined for birth within weeks or months, had their lives terminated prematurely through abortion. Worldometers abortion numbers were based upon the World Health Organization's most recent statistics. Extermination of the unborn is now the primary cause of death worldwide with 10 infants aborted for every 33 live births (Breitbart.com).
Last year, 60 percent of black babies were dismembered by abortion in America. I concur with my dear friend and dedicated pro-life advocate, Dr. Alveda King, niece of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., who calls this "genocide."
Since the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision which legalized abortion on demand and invalidated 50 state laws, nearly 61,000,000 babies have lost their lives in the womb. Think of it: from 1775 to the present, for every American soldier lost in war, 91 babies lost their lives by abortion.
What Should We Do? God's commandments throughout the Bible require respect for the dignity and protection for every human life. Our Founding Fathers reinforced the value and sanctity of human life in our founding documents declaring that every person has the "right to life." Scripture records, "These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to him" (Pr 6:16).
The Author of life directs us unequivocally, "Open your mouth for the speechless in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy" (Pr 31:8-9).
Biblically, it is impossible to be an authentic Christian and remain silent, sitting on the sidelines and not speak up for the unborn! Pastor Martin Luther King Jr., who wholeheartedly supported the sanctity of life, said it excellently: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Pastors, take notice if you've been submitting to the fear of man, not equipping people to speak up for the unborn or support pro-life candidates in elections.
Norma McCorvey, "Jane Roe" of the infamous Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in America and influenced other nations, told us she was unconscionably manipulated and exploited, saying, "I am dedicated to spending the rest of my life undoing the law that bears my name!" And she did.
Let me encourage you to be a part of the annual March for Life, Friday, January 18th in Washington, D.C. This year's theme is "Unique from Day One." (See Larry Tomczak, "Shocking Statistics Show What's the Leading Cause of Death Worldwide"; hear podcast from 1/2/2019, edited for length.)
Next to unbelief and disregard for God our Creator and Savior, abortion may be America's greatest national sin. Who can know all the pathologies across our culture that 46 years of legalized abortion has inflicted? Abortion is unnatural, vicious, violent. Every abortion is a horrific tragedy for everyone involved with it. The mass annihilation of 60 million innocent human lives since 1973 has affected all of our spirits and souls, whether we are aware of it or not (see Gal 6:7). Is it any wonder we have become shockingly and increasingly calloused and coarsened in our public discourse? Many politicians not only promote abortion, but aggressively advocate for compelling American taxpayers to finance domestic and foreign abortions against their consciences and wills. It was the practice of the previous administration to pressure third world nations (especially U.S. foreign aid recipients) to adopt pro-abortion policies as a condition for receiving foreign aid. Is the cup of America's sin overflowing yet (Gen 6:5-6)? The blood of 60 million innocent infants cries out to God from the ground (Gen 4:10-11), and America cannot avert God's justice forever.
According to Scripture, every baby conceived is knit together in his/her mother's womb by God himself (Ps 139:13-18). He created each one with tender care, unique, yet in his own image (Genesis 1:27). Our Supreme Court's declaration 46 years ago that abortion was a "woman's right" under the Constitution was one of the greatest lies and injustices ever to be foisted upon the American people. As with any lie, sin unconfessed and unrepented of requires more lies to cover it up.
The moral law of God summarized in the Ten Commandments (Ex 20:1-17) and Christ's command that we "love one another" as he loved us (the theme for the 2019 National Day of Prayer) exposes the lie of abortion. Yet many of America's pastors have never preached a sermon on abortion and its collateral damage. Failure to sound the alarm against this great evil is a sin against God and those who attend their churches. Too many of our teens are being seduced by Planned Parenthood and National Education Association (NEA)-inspired educators and counselors who openly encourage sexual practices the Bible calls immoral (fornication). This teaching has born the fruit of out-of-wedlock pregnancies and helps underage girls obtain an abortion without their parent's knowledge and with the full support of many state laws. As a matter of fact, 1 in 3 women were churchgoers at the time of their abortion, so there are many wounded young women in the pews.
Until abortion comes to an end in America, the spiritual curse it has brought will continue to affect us all. The pain and suffering each baby experiences in abortion, the loss of the life never lived, the lifetime of guilt and regret abortive moms experience, the loss of the ability to have more children (experienced by some), the hardness of heart men and women both incur when they choose to cover their sins with fig leaves rather that confessing and repenting to the only one who is able to forgive and cleanse them -- these are all horrific consequences of this great evil of our time.
Thank God for heroes who serve those contemplating abortion to choose life. Thank God for those who volunteer and give sacrificially to support pro-life pregnancy care centers across America. These heroes make possible a life-saving ministry and one that continues to serve until those in need are on their feet practically and spiritually, better equipped to care for their babies or give them to loving families for adoption, with churches and their communities ready to help.
- Lord, as we come to yet another year in which the American people remain divided over abortion, may the Holy Spirit do a special work, just as you promised, to convict of sin and of righteousness and judgment. May the eyes of multitudes of men and women who are dead in their trespasses and sins be opened to experience the New Birth. May your people proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ as never before and may millions experience the new birth and the great salvation you offer so freely. May men and women who have passed from spiritual death to life radically adjust their perspective. Lord, as with all things, you are the hope for our nation; you are the hope for the unborn and for human life to be valued again in our land. Grant your people discernment to see the evil of abortion, and to join with Jesus in his purpose to destroy the works of the devil. Cleanse our land of the evil that has become so prevalent, revive your Church, and awaken our land. Restore righteousness to our people, our leaders, and our laws, beginning with the value of human life. In Jesus' name, Amen. (Gen 6:11-13; Ex 20:13; 2 Chr 7:14; Is 61:all; Mt 5:21-22; 12:25; 18:6; Jn 3:16; 10:10; 16:7-8; Acts 2:38; 1 Tim 1:9; 1 Jn 1:9; Rev 21:8; 22:15)
Today is Religious Freedom Day! -- Yesterday, President Trump issued a proclamation declaring today, January 16th, 2019, Religious Freedom Day. Religious liberty is critical for Christians to truly enjoy freedom of expression and the open practice of faith in Jesus Christ. Several humanist and atheist groups exist solely to undermine the constitutional guarantee (e.g., ACLU, Freedom from Religion Foundation, etc.). FRC is planning a Religious Freedom Day webcast, radio program, and Facebook Live event during the 5-6 PM ET hour, the time slot of Tony's daily radio program, "Washington Watch." See another Religious Freedom Day video and download a church bulletin insert prepared for Religious Freedom Day 2019 that you can use for your home group or church service this evening.
Pro-Life Prayer Opportunities. Please pray over the following initiatives and participate as able:
1) The 25th annual National Memorial for the Preborn and their Mothers and Fathers is an interdenominational prayer meeting sponsored or cosponsored by the National Pro-life Religious Council (NPRC), Priests for Life, Liberty Counsel, and many other pro-life organizations: Friday from 8:30 till 10:30 AM at DAR Constitution Hall, 1776 D Street, NW (18th and D St), Washington, DC 20006.
2) iPray for Life Prayer Tent is erected by Intercessors for America (IFA) at the rear of the March for Life platform on the National Mall and has partnered with several local and national prayer ministries to lead segments of continuous prayer on Thursday, January 17th from 12:00 PM till 8:00 PM, and on Friday, January 18th from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
3) 14th Annual ProLifeCon Digital Action Summit -- This event is for pro-life, internet-savvy digital activists who want to carry their pro-life efforts to a new level. Those who cannot attend in person can watch online. Those who attend the National Memorial prayer service can also viewthe ProLifeCon video later online. Either way, go to ProLifeCon.com.
4) Sanctity of Human Life Sunday -- Thousands of pastors and churches across America will highlight the sanctity of human life in their sermons this weekend. Give your pastor a copy of Dr. Cureton's Sanctity of Life Sunday Bulletin Insert (in both ESV and KJV) to consider for your church. You can also use it as a prayer guide as you pray leading up to the 46th anniversary of Roe v. Wade (January 22, 1973) when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of abortion on demand. Your pastor can also access free Sermon Starters by clicking on the link.
As always, thank you for praying! Our fervent, repentant, biblical prayers and action will move our nation back toward respect for religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, and to the fear of God!